On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 12:13 -0700, David Gallardo wrote:
> I've read section 9.1 and don't see how this would be in violation of the
> spec. I intend to use the body merely to specify the query, the server
> doesn't preserve it, so it's an entirely safe, idempotent retrieval
> operation--like any other GET.
>
> I don't mean to sound contentious, Oleg, but what part of the spec,
> specifically, would this be violating?
>
> I'm open to suggestion, if this is wrong, but since this is a query, it
> doesn't seem appropriate to use a POST or UPDATE.

9.1.1
"...
In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and
   HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action
   other than retrieval.
..."

9.3
"...
The GET method means retrieve whatever information (in the form of an
   entity) is identified by the Request-URI.
..."

Hope this helps

Oleg