From: joeweder [mailto:joewe...@gmail.com] Sent: maandag 26 januari 2009 15:22
To: httpclient-users@hc.apache.org
Subject: Re: Proper Use of HTTPClient 3.x for Many Hosts

Thanks Oleg! But I am confused; how can a single HttpClient instance work for many hosts
(e.g., http://abc.com, and https://xyz.com:3331) when it seems to have a
single instance of HostConfiguration?

olegk wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:45 -0800, joeweder wrote:
I have a application that will talk to several hosts (from 1 to 25). For
each
host, it will make repeated (timed interval) ongoing GETs and POSTs to a
few
ports.

QUESTION: What is the recommended usage of the
HttpClient/HttpConnectionManager for this scenario?

Do I use a single HttpConnectionManager for each host (20 hosts ==> 20
HCM)?
Or, can I reuse one HttpConnectionManager and talk to more than one host
(20
host ==> 1 HCM)?

Yes, you can (and should) reuse one connection manager.

I am reasonably certain that I need to use the
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.
What I think is that I'd create one connection manager and create a
single
HttpClient instance for each host/port combination... like below:

HttpConnectionManager      HttpClientHost1Port3331
                                      HttpClientHost1Port8080
                                      HttpClientHost2Port3331
                                      HttpClientHost2Port8080

Agree/Disagree?

This will not result in any tangle benefit I can think of. A single
HttpClient instance should be perfectly okay.

I see lots of posts about this but I am not 100% sure about the answer
for
my scenario.
Thanks for any feedback in advance.
NOTE: I want to solve this with 3.x and then move to 4.x
4.0 has a massively better connection management. If you plan to migrate
soon, skip 3.x altogether.