On Thu, 2016-04-07 at 17:54 +0000, Mark A. Claassen wrote:
> Apache HTTPClient 4.4.1
>
> I was doing some more tests with proxy authentication and I ran into
> something I didn't expect.  AuthenticationStrategyImpl goes though the list
> of schemes ( SPNEGO, NTLM, ...) to find the ones that have "authentications".
>  However, this goes through all of them and does not stop after it gets one.
>
> I created a CredentialsProvider that prompts the user for a username and
> password for certain schemes.  I was surprised to find out that this made my
> password dialog appeared too often.  I configured my proxy server to allow
> for NTLM and DIGEST authentication schemes.  Then using my HttpClient, I
> thought that if NTLM was higher in priority, and there were credentials for
> that, it would not continue to ask for credentials for the DIGEST scheme.
> However, it always goes through the whole list.  Is this supposed to be this
> way?

It is. AuthenticationStrategyImpl does so to identify all auth schemes
that can potentially be used to respond to the authentication challenges
sent by the server. Naturally it can only do so if there are credentials
matching the actual authentication scope.

> Does this make sense with how proxy servers work?  In my case, configuring
> the proxy server to allow NTML and DIGEST authentication means that it will
> allow access if *either* is specified, and does not require both.
>
> It would be nice if AuthenticationStrategyImpl would stop searching once it
> found something, however there does not seem to be an easy way to handle
> this.  This makes me think I might be doing something wrong.  I thought a
> custom CredentialProvider would be the correct place to code in a password
> dialog.  But maybe there is a better "hook" I can use to bring up the dialog,
> and then just put the information in the CredentialsProvider.  Is there a
> better place to put this code?
>
> It seems the only way to handle this is to re-write
> AuthenticationStrategyImpl, adding a single line so it will stop after the
> first non-null credentials are returned.

There should be nothing stopping you from returning the same creds
multiple times. You just need to make your implementation of
CredentialsProvider a little smarter.