On 11/10/2016 3:21 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 13:43 -0700, Shawn Heisey wrote:
>> What happens to a long-lived HTTP connection if another thread calls
>> close() on the HttpClient? Does the connection immediately die and
>> throw an exception, or would the connection finish as expected in its
>> own time?
> Yes, it does. CloseableHttpClient#close immediately purges the
> internal pool of all connections both active (leased) and inactive
> (kept alive). HC 5.0 will support graceful shutdown option whereby one
> can give connections some grace period to complete ongoing exchanges
> prior to shutting down.

Thank you!  I prefer to have everything shut down immediately, so this
is good news.  If the exception that happens in the background thread is
different enough from exceptions indicating "real" problems, I will be
able to detect that situation and log a short warning, instead of a full
stacktrace.  I will be on the lookout for this when I've written enough
of the code to test it.

Thanks,
Shawn