On 13/11/2023 10:06, Konrad Windszus wrote:

On 13. Nov 2023, at 09:43, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

The response body processing takes place outside the protocol handling chain
and there is nothing we can do about it.

IIRC this isn’t the case with
https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.5.x/current/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/http/client/HttpClient.html#execute(org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpUriRequest,%20org.apache.http.client.ResponseHandler)
I.e. when the given ResponseHandler throws an IOException this is handled by
the HttpRequestRetryHandler.
Isn’t this correct?

It is not. The HttpRequestRetryHandler has an effect only while the message processing is still taking place in the protocol handling chain.