Hi All,

We headed up to spend the day at Okoboji, so I checked out the "shallow lake restorations" along the way. Dan Green Slough, Clay Co., had something over 1000 birds of 12 species on the main pool and mudflat just off the south blacktop. The bulk were Killdeer, Pectoral Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Least Sandpipers. Most interesting might have been a juvie Wilson's Phalarope. It should become a good spot for Buff-breasted Sandpipers. Jemmerson Slough at Spirit Lake, Dickinson Co., had a smattering of shorebirds, but nothing that grabbed the attention. It did, however, have a bunch of loafing gull/terns: 250 Franklin's, 50 Ring-billed and 100 Black Terns. Later I saw 300 Franklin's Gulls over Upper Gar Lake and 150 Ring-billed at Arnold's Park.

Matthew Kenne
Algona, Iowa
mke...@netamumail.om

---
Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members
make it!
---
Birding channel recommendation for FRS/GMRS radio use:
Primary selection; channel 5/0 , alternate selection; channel 6/0
---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union.  Membership
available on-line at http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/membership.asp.
-----
You are currently subscribed to ia-bird as: arch...@mail-archive.com