On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:42:05PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > I really have no idea, it doesn't sound like a USB problem, but a
> > > platform issue :(
>
> Well, if you guys would like that, I can certainly log to syslog the initial
> state of the rfkill switches.  Which priority do you want? INFO? NOTICE?

I think that it would be good to log it, yes. I'd say it's for NOTICE
because it's significant, and not just in my case - even the positive result
is significant because it may cause more battery drain on laptops, so many
users could well care.

> But please _do_ open a bug about it on bugzilla.kernel.org, just in case I
> have to send the fix after -rc1.

Yet another bugzilla to register to, sigh...

> > In the meantime I've rebooted as well as hibernated the laptop a few more
> > times, and I can't seem to establish a clear pattern by which wwan_enable
> > gets set or unset, because it unset itself at least twice since, without
> > me using the physical switch.
>
> It will be unset if something messes with the rfkill state, or if the
> firmware does something weird, which it just might if you press fn+f5 while
> the OS didn't come up yet :p
>
> And there is always the possibility of a thinkpad-acpi bug.

Hmm. I should mention that I dual boot with Windows sometimes, and in fact
it's currently completely broken in there - Fn+F5 doesn't even show it (it
shows the other two functions) and my Vodafone program can't turn it on.
I tried leaving it on in Linux and then booting into Windows, to no avail.

> > Help?
>
> Sure thing.  Load thinkpad-acpi with the debug=0x0004 parameter, and it
> should be really annoying and tell you when anything changes rfkill state.
> Maybe compile the kernel with CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_DEBUG set for extra
> logging.
>
> Then keep an eye on the logs, you want to check both the ones since boot for
> the session where you notice WWAN is disabled, as well as the ones since the
> boot _previous_ to that one, because something might have caused
> thinkpad-acpi to tell the firmware to store in NVRAM that WWAN should be
> disabled on the next power up...

Gotcha.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.