On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:59:06 -0500, Mark Zelden <mzel...@flash.net>
wrote:

>I was surprised when the end result of the console restructure didn't
>include any sort of dynamic addition or deletion of console.  Well, the
>deletion came in the form of samplib programs over a couple of
>releases.

Mark,

We still have the scars from the Console Restructure. Part way through, we
were told that it was too big and was taking too long and we were told to
come up with a smaller, more affordable design. That design also became too
big and took too long, but it got delivered after much hard work (although
many of us think the original design was far superior and would have ultimately
taken about the same amount of time and effort). As part of the Console
Restructure, there was a pretty massive restructuring of the console
metadata data structures, and this restructuring was done with an eye to
eventually providing for the dynamic addition (and deletion) of consoles.

We are far closer to being able to provide this capability than we've ever been
before, but completing the effort was not do-able in the context of the
Console Restructure project. What is left to be done is not trivial, but it is
now
eminently feasible if, though your requirements, you tell us that this is
important enough for us to work on (and not something else).

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development