On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:45:41 +1100, James Phillips <jam...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>There are several situations where I'd like to have a program put a
>message in another job's joblog (JESMSGLG), e.g. to let people
>interested in that job know that something was done that affected it.
>
>I've been through the z/OS and JES2 macro guides and haven't yet been
>able to find anything that seems to do what I want.

James,

There is no ability to specify a destination of JOBLOG on WTO. At best, you
can request "hardcopy only" but that will also put the message into the
SYSLOG and/or OPERLOG as well as the JOBLOG. Since you want to put the
message into someone else's JOBLOG (and writing to the JOBLOG is done by
the JES based on the address space from which the message is issued), you'll
have to figure out how to issue the WTO from that user's address space.

I have had a note from another customer requesting the ability to direct a
WTO to JOBLOG but I do not have a formal requirement. The ability to direct it
to a specific JOBLOG is a new wrinkle, although I suspect that the customer
that sent me his request would agree with it. To do any of this will require
changes in WTO and both of the JESes, so if you want it, I'd suggest a formal
requirement through SHARE.

FWIW, there is the ability within an MPF exit to prevent messages from being
written to the JOBLOG. There is no equivalent on the WTO.

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK -- z/OS Core Technical Development