On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:37:31 +0800, Timothy Sipples
<timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>Before that there was the IBM 3838 Array Processor which ran (eventually)
>the Vector Processing Subsystem (VPSS)/XA. I think the 3838 debuted in
1976
>or 1977. Your VPSS stuff could run on the VFs using (what else) VPSS/VF.
>VPSS/XA was IBM Program Number 5665-301. VPS/XA also supported
FORTRAN, at
>least.

For what its worth, the SUBSYS= support on the DD statement was invented
by Barry Goldstein and myself to support the 3838. It allowed FORTRAN I/O to
be redirected to VPSS for passing arrays into and out of the 3838. (The 3838
looked like a tape device to FORTRAN).

Of course, many of you have found other uses for SUBSYS= since then...

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development