We started down this path in the late 90s. At the time we were concerned
about the extra traffic required to mirror spool, so we didn't--and had to
cold start JES2 each time. Aside from losing syslog, we had no way of
telling where batch processing had left off. It might make a big
difference if had to rerun a whole shift's worth of work vs. just jobs
that had not completed.

After trying various clever methods of logging batch progress, we tried
the obvious: mirror spool. We were amazed that we couldn't see a
significant difference in mirroring overhead. Now we warm start JES2.
Occasionally we get a few complaints at startup, but never anything
serious. We have syslog intact at the DR site as well as actual job output
still in the spool.

Disclaimer: we made this change after we had converted from ESCON over OEM
channel extender to FICON over DWDM. That thread has already been beaten
up here. In any case it can't hurt to try mirroring spool. If it hurts you
can stop; otherwise you're a hero!

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson