Graham,
Those output files are used to pull together the syslog that you see in S.LOG.
There's nothing in the system that automatically deletes them, but you may have
a an automated command in your shop that purges them, say, after 5 days.
In our shop, we purge them after three days with a JES command:
$POJOBQ,Q=L,DAYS>3. But we also back up the entire syslog prior to purging the
output.

If you don't care what's in S.LOG and don't care to keep a history of it, then
go ahead and purge it. Personally, I'd keep a few, and get used to them being
there.

Mary Anne