All,

currently I'm playing around a little bit with the SVC99 DYNALLOC. When I try to allocate a rather large Dataset, I (sometimes) need to specify DALVLCNT (Dataset volume count).

Now... I wonder it it would be safe (or "ok") to specify 255 in all cases, even when allocating a small dataset. The documentation says "DALVLCNT specifies the maximum number of volumes an output data set may
require."... **MAY**...

So... If I don't care if the dataset is a multi-volume or not (I just want to be sure the dataset can be allocated somehow if space is somewhere available), is it safe/ok to specify 255 and let z/OS decide to allocate multi-volume or not?

Thanks,
Michael