Mike,

As I understand it (doc is sketchy on this) from prior experience, if a PFS
like HFS or zFS is monted R/W on one or more of the systems in the sysplex,
then all requests, read and write, from non-owning systems are function shipped
to the "owner".  I.E., they auto-magically become "sysplex-unaware".  If
mounted R/O on all systems sharing the FS in the plex, then the FS is
"sysplex-aware" and read access is done locally (if the system has access to
the DASD volume that the FS resides on).   All this is done for you based on
values stored in the OMVS CDS at mount time.

Distributed FS, like NFS, can be "sysplex-aware" even if mounted R/W on all
systems in the plex.

Of course, mount attributes (AUTOMOVE/NOAUTOMOVE) adds some fun to all of this
but letting the attribute default will usually work.

So, to answer your question, yes, except for
/quote
when the application in the read-only LPAR attempted to perform a write?
/unquote

If the FS is mounted R/O to a particular system, then that system can only read
it.  Solution would be to mount R/W to all LPARs that need it.   The
sysplex-root is an example of such a FS.

HTH

RB

>>> "Mike Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/27/2008 3:36 PM >>>

Richard:

What you are saying is interesting. I am in the middle of reading the process
of setting up HFS file sharing. Are you saying that I can use XCF signaling to
"function  ship" requests from an LPAR with read-only access to an HFS file to
another LPAR that has read/write access to the same HFS files? Would this XCF
request be automatically made when the application in the read-only LPAR
attempted to perform a write? Sounds even easier, if I understand you correctly.

Mike

>>> "Richard Bond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/27/2008 3:06 PM >>>
Access thru XCF depends on whether the file-system is "sysplex-aware".  If so,
(like a R/O HFS) then access is local unless the requesting system does not
have DASD access. In that case, XCF to owning system is required.

The  R/O "VERSION"  ROOT FS should have local access to all sharing systems -
the owner doesn't matter.

Mark Zelden wrote:
> A properly configured shared file system in either a basic or parallel
> sysplex.
>
> Have a look at the chapter on sharing file systems in a sysplex in the
> UNIX System Services Planning manual.   I think the doc is pretty good.
> If you have questions after that, let us know.

Exactly. There is no need whatsoever for parallel sysplex. Both zFS and
HFS use USS file sharing support, which uses only XCF signaling and a
couple data set ... no XES. Requests are "function shipped" to the file
system owning system, so you get better performance on the image where
the file system is mounted.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that
may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected
from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to
whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance on
the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the email
from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using
e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy Policy and Henry Ford My Health
at www.henryford.com for more detailed information. If you do not believe that
our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send
e-mail or Internet communications to us.

The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are confidential, may be
privileged and may contain copyright material. You may only reproduce or
distribute material if you are expressly authorized by us to do so. If you are
not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email (and
any attachments) is unauthorized. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and immediately delete this e-mail and any copies of
it from your system.