Peter Relson wrote:
It was mentioned that the desire is to do VSMLIST. Why? What will you do
with the information? Maybe there are other pieces of information available
in the system without going through the trouble (and cycles) of retrieving
VSMLIST and analyzing the conl structures.

Lindy stated that this was to gain experience. Knowledge for its own sake is a valuable asset. In my career I've been lucky that most of the time I worked for employers who understood that, and saw that "play time" provided experience that could be used to give our service bureau, or ISV products, a competitive edge.

The first time this came up, and convinced me, was the time I worked for Applied Data Research's service bureau, and a customer needed IBM 2260 CRTs. A colleague and I wrote a "silly" application - a battleship game. By itself it signified nothing, but the hands-on experience affected the outcome of a contract bid, where a government agency wanted to convert a batch program to an interactive one. We won the contract, and finished on time and under budget.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT