Kevin,

thanks for following and for addressing my question. I have changed the title
as the original thread has drifted to an POR or not POR discussion.

Thanks also for correcting my sloppy wording and guessing what I meant :-)

I still think that at one point prior to console restructure console retention
attributes were kept as part of the sysmcs xcf group (permanent status
recording). I am 100% sure that it wasn't sufficient to 'only' have all systems
down, in addition you had to re-ipl in a different order causing a
re-initialization of the sysplex to do cleanup for console information (my
apologies for again confusing a sysplex cold-start with a sysplex
re-initialization). I have even looked up the thread where Bill Neimann
confirmed this back in February 2004 (the discussion is in the
ibm-main-archives archive):

"Consoles members in the SYSMCS and SYSMCS2 groups do in fact request permanent
status recording.  However, Consoles has a protocol in which the first system
to IPL into the sysplex deletes any members that are in the FAILED state, left
over from a previous instance of the sysplex.  So a
sysplex-wide IPL in which the operator gives permission to reinitialize the
sysplex (by responding 'I' to IXC405D - see the documentation of that message
for an explanation of why the first system to IPL in has to be different from
the last one that was taken down) does clean up residual Consoles members. "

If the sysplex is not re-initialized, then the consoles attributes as saved by
permanent status recording will be used. This was confirmed a bit earlier by
Bill. The last system down in the sysplex still appears FAILED because there is
no other system to mark it inactive left. If that last FAILED system is the
first to IPL, it recognizes that this is an old sysplex instance and does not
do re-initialization.

And yes, I remember (and I debugged) a few syszmcs sysmcs#something ENQ
deadlocks!

So up until and including z/OS 1.9 this old behaviour still applies, right? The
old attributes might have been used because they were still there and in a
monoplex it is kind of hard to re-initialize short of formatting the sysplex
CDS.

After all, Dave did not say what z/OS he is on nor did he say what IEA196I
messages (if any) he got. The fact that he could vary things to console makes
me believe that he didn't hit the 99 defined consoles limit, though. If it
wasn't defined as an inactive console, it could not get activated later. And
the rest is speculation.

Best regards, Barbara

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger