On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:39:48 -0500, Mark Zelden
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A console that was not rolling?

Mark,

That advice applied prior to the Console Restructure. After z/OS R4.2, we
moved the point where SYSLOG/OPERLOG is written -- it is now written
immediately after the SSI, prior to the message being XCF'd to the Console
address space. Prior to z/OS R4.2, a message had to be written to all consoles
before writing it to SYSLOG/OPERLOG -- today, that is no longer the case. We
think the new design is a big improvement because delays writing to a console
no longer hold up writing to SYSLOG/OPERLOG. Also, writing to
SYSLOG/OPERLOG no longer uses below-the-line console buffers so
SYSLOG/OPERLOG problems no longer contribute to below-the-line console
buffer shortages.

You can still get console buffer shortages due to consoles not rolling, but
consoles not rolling will have no effect on SYSLOG/OPERLOG.

As for the original problem, no idea...

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK Lab, z/OS Core Technical Development