What's magic? Some missionaries were confronted by a group of hostile locals.
Things were looking grim. One quick thinker pulled out a lighter, held it high,
and flicked it on. Animosity melted into awestruck admiration...It was the
first time they had ever seen a Zippo light on the first try.

When I joined SCE in the mid-90s, tape was already being shared between data
centers. There was production in both sites. Tape was bus-and-tag, yet every
drive in both centers was usable by every LPAR in both centers. In order to
manage the drives, MIA was employed to control online/offline on demand. MIA
required control data sets shared by all LPARs in both centers. The tape
technology was STK, whose HSC software also required shared control files.
Channel extension was used for both tape and control data sets.

Technology progressed. First to ESCON, then to FICON. Channel extension moved
to DWDM. The number of tape drives increased from a handful of physical units
in the 80s/90s to a *huge* number of virtual ones. Still we kept MIA
because--why not. Tape--now Oracle--still need shared control data sets. A tiny
handful of disk volumes held all and only these shared control data sets and
the ICF catalog that described them.

Today we are moving to (now) Dell DLm tape. All virtual, all managed by RMM and
for the first time OAM. We have so many virtual drives that we can segregate by
sysplex. No more need for MIA. OAM is a different animal that does need shared
data sets. Again, I would not advocate sharing catalogs outside a sysplex, but
it's not a show stopper either.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson