My perspective is:  Politics is philosophy, but with a lot of emotion...

On 5/3/2023 10:25 AM, Bob Bridges wrote:
Without in the least wishing to feed the trolls, I may as well say that I never
mind these digressions.  I wouldn't want them to take over the forum, but the
occasional hot-blooded off-topic food fight is at worst mildly entertaining and
at best gives me an excuse to emit a superior smirk as I stay out of it.  And
sometimes someone actually makes a GOOD point, at which point I may contribute.

It's better, of course, when the dialogue leaves out the hostility.  But I
can't control that, and my feelings aren't delicate.

---

/* A recent Pentagon scenario-building exercise suggested a sudden breakdown in the North
Atlantic circulation, producing a dramatic regional cooling.  A disaster film called The
Day After Tomorrow, released a couple of weeks ago, suggests an apocalyptic future not
foreseen by most serious climatologists.  In fact, we do not know whether global warming
will continue to increase on a steady ramp or possibly cross the threshold of some
nonlinear process.  We're in the middle of a large uncontrolled experiment on the only
planet we have.  -Donald Kennedy, Editor-in-Chief  of "Science" [Vol 304, Issue
5677, 1565, 11 June 2004] */

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Steve Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2023 09:53

I think I also triggered this by trying to show why we (the
industry) need to pay attention to Asimov's laws of robotics.

--- On 5/3/2023 9:36 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
I seeded the discussion with the idea that our technology has impacts beyond
the tech itself.  Had I thought about it I could have easily intuited that it
would go political and end up exactly where we are at.  That wasn’t the intent
but was the outcome.

I repent in dust and ashes.