Thanks, "REPEAT" was what I was looking for.

I think the SyncSort MFX manual is in the top 2 (bottom 2?) for hardest to
figure out capabilities and syntax.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Sri
h Kolusu
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2023 5:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Generate a data set with record numbers?

>> The question is, what's the simplest way to do this with a *standard* z/OS
>> utility (i.e. that comes with z/OS), or with a standard sort product (e.g.
>> DFSORT or SyncSort), where it is all in a self-contained job?

Michael,

DFSORT can generate the sequenced records quite easily. Use the following JCL.
It will generate an 8 byte sequence number. You can change the REPEAT=n  to the
desired number of records that you want.

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN   DD *
ABC
//SORTOUT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD *
  OPTION COPY
  OUTFIL REPEAT=1000,
  BUILD=(C'RECORD ',SEQNUM,8,ZD)
/*

If you want the leading zeroes suppressed then you can use FS format instead of
ZD

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development