From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 29, 2024 11:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: RACF, external password management

Linda Hagedorn wrote:
>This is very promising. Do you know where I can read more about ZMFA?

The documentation landing page is here:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma

>I'm interested in knowing how to configure the external source, and how
>the token is passed back to RACF, and how long the token lasts.
>For example, if systems programmers are working a problem, we
>wouldn't want the token to expire in 3 hrs.
>Or does the token last for the duration of the session?
>If tso/ispf times out (sysprog is doing research or answering
>mgmt questions), will they have to generate a new token?

If for example you’re configuring ZMFA to use a LDAP server as an “external”
factor then this landing page has further details:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=customization-configuring-ldap

I put the word external in quotation marks because the LDAP server could be
z/OS’s LDAP server or some other LDAP server running on the same IBM Z machine.
And LDAP is just one example. Many “external” and external factors’ interfaces
are supported.

You can configure ZMFA for “out-of-band” authentication so that users obtain
what’s called a “cache token credential” (CTC) to log into RACF (via TSO/E for
example). You can choose whether the CTC is reusable and how quickly it expires.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=policies-setting-policy-token-timeout
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=policies-setting-cache-token-credential-be-reusable

—————
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM Z/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com