> On Nov 20, 2022, at 6:01 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2022, 11:08 Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net
> <mailto:d...@dcrocker.net>> wrote:
>> Seriously.  DKIM is intended as a transit-time mechanism.  When delivery
>> occurs, transit is done.  So DKIM has done its job and can (safely?) be
>> removed.
>

> One of the informational RFCs the original working group produced discussed
> this. A reason (maybe the reason) the envelope was not included in the signed
> content was so that the signature could survive without an envelope, meaning
> it could be retrieved from a mailbox and re-verified.
>
> I don't know, though, if anyone does this regularly, but it's been shown to
> be useful in some circumstances.

My input would be since UUCP days, the importer stripped the “From
return-address“ header (note no colon) once the final destination was
determined (local user existed, bounce was no longer necessary).

With SMTP, this evolved to a "Return-Path:”  header and the same plug and play
stripping action occurred.  It is the reason the MUA could never rely on the
“From “ or “Return-Path:” header existing when the mail was picked up, and why
DKIM doe not recommend hash binding the Return-Path header to the signature.

Side note: early mail systems had a RFC822 to Internal, Proprietary fixed
header structure mail format transformations, only the minimal headers were
read like;

From

And only for replies:

In short, when the MDA is reached,  nothing else matters and all else is
overhead.

With the bigger ESPs now beginning to honor strong SPF and/or DKIM Policy
protocol models, to resolve the many indirect path mail issues, the
Receiver/Router needs to be fully aware of the incoming SPF protected and/or
DKIM-signed message w/o a policy wrapper, i.e. DMARC.  Authorized modifications
are needed which may include removing/stripping overhead headers that attempt
to keep mail path processing change history and be a problem at the ESP.

The Authorized mail processor/router that has one goal - properly deliver the
mail to the MDA or make it available for pick up (pop) or reading (imap, web) -
Different MUAs.

—
HLS