On 2/5/2024 11:50 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

(*) Lon ago, Knuth visited UCLA when I was there, and 'structured programming' was a hot topic.  He did a presentation to test a perspective that he later wrote up.  He observed that fully structured programs, without gotos, could sometimes make code /worse/.  He shows some code without any gotos that was correct but extremely difficult to read and understand.  Then he showed a version, with two loops -- one after the other -- and inside each was a goto into the other.  OMG.  But this code was clear, concise and easy to understand.

I recall an old corporate project SE coding guideline: usage of a GOTO LABEL was allowed if the LABEL is within the reader's page view, i.e. 25 lines (using 25x80 terminal standards).

--
Hector Santos,
https://santronics.com