Hi,

@ Sasi sir:  The errors you mentioned are very general and I cannot
make anything out of it. But if you suspect hard disk issues, you are
completely justified (and of course your immense experience lends it
credibilty). Errors caused by a failing hard disk are sometimes very
strange and leave the user clueless. The first choice in that case is
to use 'fsck' to check file system integrity.

  But SMART is better suited to check for the problems you suspect. It
is even useful for preparing for hard disk failure in advance. SMART
is a semi-standard technology whereby hard disks record their own
health information - like temperature, seek error rate, spin up time
and a lot of others. This information can be accessed using
appropriate software to assess the health of hard drive. In case of
GNU/Linux, the package you need to install is -- smartmontools --.

  Detailed information on how to use smartmontools and analyze its
output are available on following pages:
http://blog.shadypixel.com/monitoring-hard-drive-health-on-linux-with-smartmontools/
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983

  I wanted to give a better explanation, but I can't format the text
very well. I apologize for that. However, I can tell you how I used
it. I had two hard drives in my system stacked one above other. Twice,
the disk on the top failed. So, I used command:

sudo smartctl -A /dev/sda

  From the output, I realized that the upper disks were overheating
due to bad air cooling. Apparently, hot air from the lower drive was
heating the upper drive. So I reduced the number of drives to one and
also added an extra 120mm cooling fan.

  Smartmontool shows many such parameters - along with their
thresholds. If a parameter drops below its threshold, it indicates bad
health. Some parameters indicate impending disaster if they fall below
their threshold. Others indicate gradual degradation due to poor
environment. Anyway, its is useful for assessing and predicting
failures. I hope this becomes useful to you. Please let us know about
your experiments with it.

Regards,
Gokul Das