Hi,

On Wednesday, 11 April 2012 22:53:22 UTC+5:30, V. Sasi Kumar wrote:

> Thank you for the link, Visakh. The post is well written and clear. But
>
> I have one doubt. He writes, "Using lsusb I found that the device has
> three configurations." Then he goes on to use the command,
>
> sudo usb_modeswitch -v 230d -p 0001 -u 3
>
> to switch the device to modem mode. But, as you have seen, the lsusb
> command in my case does not give any such details, like what should be
> the number to follow -u in the command. Could this be because, as you
> say, "The device may be so new that linux support may be just
> appearing"?

The configurations (modes) are given in deep detail by the lsusb -v
command. A summary is posted below:

Device: Communications
  Configuration: MSC AutoInstall Device
    Interface: SCSI Mass Storage
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
  Configuration: WMC Device
    Interface: Communications/Wireless Handset Control
    Interface: USB Modem1 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: USB Modem1 - CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: USB Modem2 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: USB Modem2 - CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: Communications/Device Management
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: Audio/Control Device
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Bulk SCSI Mass Storage
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
  Configuration: WMC Device
    Interface: Communications/Wireless Handset Control
    Interface: USB Modem1 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: USB Modem2 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: Communications/Device Management
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: Audio/Control Device
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Bulk SCSI Mass Storage
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data

As the report shows, your device indeed has 3 modes/configurations as the
blog suggested. The configuration number, which you are looking for, is
actually given by the *bConfigurationValue* field of the configuration
descriptor (available from your original report). Thus the configurations
with their numbers are:

   - MSC AutoInstall Device (confignum: 1) - With 'mass storage' interface,
   probably for installing PnP driver.
   - WMC Device (confignum: 2)
   - WMC Device (confignum: 3)

This actually gives me more confidence that the solution given in the blog
will work.

I am attaching as a text file the output of the lsusb -vd 230d:0007
> command just for your knowledge. I have not done any experiments as you
> have suggested. I shall do that later and let you know the results. But
> this output seems to say that here also it is mode 3, unless I am
> mistaken.

I couldn't find any indication that the device is already in mode 3. If it
is the bNumConfigurations value in the device descriptor, it just says that
there are 3 configurations available.
The only sure way of knowing which configuration is chosen is to see the
pseudo-files in /sys/bus/usb/devices (using command: ls
/sys/bus/usb/devices ). It will show a few device files in a special
format. For example a device file of name 3-2:1.4 indicates a usb device
connected to 2nd port of 3rd bus controller. Its configuration is 1 and
interface 4.

The next action that could be taken is to do a systematic check to find if
the solution works. It can be done like this:

   1. Plug in the USB device and make sure that it doesn't work (to ensure
   that the solution works). You can check the present configuration as
   explained above (if needed).
   2. Do a mode switch with the command : *sudo usb_modeswitch -v 230d -p
   0007 -u 3 *
   3. See if it works now. If not, that could be a problem with network
   manager too. Ensure that the NM has detected the device and its
   configuration in NM is correct.
   4. If it is working now, make more changes to the system (evdev and
   usb_modeswitch scripts) as suggested by the blog. This will make it
   automatic the next time onwards.

Regards,
Gokul Das