@Syam sir: Thanks for the clear reply - it makes things a lot easier now. I
was already familiar with some of your suggestion, but others were plain
new to me. I had partially tried these ideas earlier when I tried a
Django/Apache/Python/Postgresql server stack. But I still had to ask since
there were many unsolved problems.

Most 'make' based packages will have a 'prefix' argument to the 'configure'
> script to install to a custom directory. For example --prefix=/my/path will
> install everything relative to that path: /my/path/lib, /my/path/include
> etc.

I used the same method for the server stack. Even python setup-tools has a
--prefix option.

> Again, most packages I use have an argument to configure the directories
> for individual dependent libraries. For example, when building gcc, IIRC,
> there are options --with-mpfr=, --with-gmp= which allow you to set the same
> prefix directory as you used when building GMP and MPFR for compiling gcc.
> There are even more options for fine tuning which will let you specify the
> 'include' and 'lib' separately, rather than specifying the 'prefix' path.

This was the section that I really needed help with. I never figured out
the way to specify dependencies. At that time, it was not important. But
this time, I am trying to prepare a Python/Numpy/IPython/Emacs based
scientific stack. Unfortunately, all these packages are undergoing
transition (mainly due to py2 to py3 porting) and a dependency hell is in
the making.
Still, it makes me wonder if it is not possible to specify a 'preferred
dependency/library location' for the entire stack, rather than having to
specify location of each dependency to each package during compilation. I
will check the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable you suggested, to see
if that can do something.

For this, I guess you'll have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable
> to point to your custom directories before you invoke your app. You can do
> this in a wrapper starter script so that it doesn't get applied to the
> whole system.

Actually, I was referring to a situation where one app invokes another -
not the case of dynamic linking. But the solution was similar to what you
suggested. I created a wrapper script with the PATH environment variable
pointing to the other preferred apps (this was necessary since I wanted
Apache to invoke my freshly compiled Python binaries). My only regret is
that I couldn't find a single method to specify the PATH for all the apps
in the stack.

Your reply gave a lot of methods and clues for solving the problem. Thanks!

Regards,
Gokul Das