Hi,
  I have desktop PC running Arch Linux which I use primarily for
programming and data analysis. It is almost an year old, but is running
smooth as butter, and is still a top notch configuration for desktops. The
main tools I use are vanilla system programming tools (C/C++, rust and go +
emacs), numerical analysis and DSP tools (python with numpy, gnu radio),
hardware development tools (vhdl/ghdl, xilinx ise) and web development
tools (pyramid framework, nginx, postgres, node.js).

 I had planned a dual monitor setup for all these, but had deferred the
decision for want of a good graphics card. Presently it has a Samsung 19'
monitor (VGA/DVI, no HDMI), powered by onboard intel graphics (whose driver
had the best support for 'kernel mode setting' at the time). Now I am
looking for an additional monitor and a good enough GPU to support better
development (so that I can use emacs in one monitor and docs on a browser
on the other). I have one PCI-E port free. Can anyone suggest a good
monitor and GPU, considering the following requirements? The group members
have much better experience with these type of work than me. The monitor
market and linux graphics driver capabilities changed drastically after I
bought my desktop.

Monitor Requirements:
1. Of good size (I'm looking for 21'. But is there a better size for
development?)

2. With HDMI interface

GPU requirements:
1. Support for atleast 2 monitors. I am also interested in anyone's
experience with using dual monitors on Linux.

2. HDMI + HDMI interface (preferred), or HDMI + DVI interface (2nd option)

3. Good graphics driver support for Linux. Good open source driver is
preferred, but even good binary ones are acceptable. I'm not clear about
the latest diver scenario after Valve's and Dell's push for linux into
gaming and desktop arena. I assume that it has improved a lot in the last
one year. (No - I don't want to use windows for this work)

4. Best GPGPU capability. I just wanted to try my hand at OpenCL/CUDA.
Ultimately, that may mean more for my work than absolute eye-popping
graphics capability.

5. Best support for special Linux graphics stack technologies, à la KMS,
DRI2 and GEM. These are essential for support of next gen graphics servers
like Wayland and Mir. The decision by Nvidia to not support KMS in their
driver was the reason for me in deferring that choice.

So, what are your ideas and suggestions? Links to good articles are also
welcome.
TIA & Regards,
Gokul Das

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free
Software Users Group,  Thiruvananthapuram" group.
to ilug-tvm+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.