On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:10 +0530, Raj Mathur wrote:
> On Thursday 01 February 2007 14:34, Vishnu Gopal wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Anyways, feel free to take this off-list/IRC, don't want this to
> > degrade to a Is Microsoft good/evil conversation.
>
> I find the discussion quite interesting, and would like to keep it on
> the list itself.  Anyone else?

I agree with Raj, and others, that it would be interesting to keep this
discussion on the list itself.

Here are my two bits, with the caveats that I am speaking only for
myself, and that I reserve the right to completely change my viewpoint
based on inputs from the discussions here.

First of all, I was at all ILUG-D meetings to discuss participation in
LA2007, and, frankly speaking, if people had a strong enough opinion
about such things, you should have cared enough to show up at these
meetings. Bolting the stable door after the horse has fled does not
work.

To counteract various viewpoints expressed in this thread, the
problem was not with the commercial approach of Linux-Asia, nor with
Microsoft participation, per se. We were not aware of the Microsoft
sponsorship, and, if you ask me, it would have made *no* difference to
the decision not to participate. I will take the somewhat heretical
viewpoint that MS-India's participation is a non-op, or maybe a plus.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you,
then you win", to quote some inconsequential person.

I will go on record to say that the decision to withdraw from LA2007
was based largely on the fact that the LA organisation did not follow
up on things that they had promised, at least from our perspective.
The door to cooperation is still open, but not on terms imposed from
one side.

I will end up with taking exception to opinions expressed in various
fora that people chose to participate in LA2007, or not to do so, based
on *their* assumptions about ILUG-D involvement. (a) All ILUG-D
decisions are made by voting among those present at meetings, not by
dictatorial fiat, and (b) ILUG-D is not its brother's keeper, not even
in the open-source world. Make your own damn decisions, on your own
terms.

Regards,
Gora