Imail can use an external Active Directory db for Authentication (as of Imail 8.21) To do this in 2006 do the following. (This is from the online help for Imail 2006)

Setting Permissions to Administer a Remote Windows NT Database from IMail Administrator

When you use a remote Windows NT Database for user mail accounts and authentication, you need to clear the Anonymous access option for the IMail Administrator virtual directory located in the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. This setting lets the IMail administrator log in as a domain administrator and query the remote NT server so they are visible in the IMail Web Administrator user list.

Important: Make sure that the IMail administrator has domain admin privileges on the remote server that runs the Windows NT Database. Anonymous access should only be removed from the IIS IMail directory in this special case of managing IMail users from a remote Windows NT Database.

Note: The following settings are only required when you access the Windows NT Database on a remote server. If you are accessing the Windows NT Database on the same server as the IMail Server, the following configuration change is not required.

To configure IMail Administrator virtual directory for Anonymous access in IIS:

  1. Click Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services. The Internet Information Services Manager appears.

  2. Click + next to Web Sites. The Web Sites folders expand.

  3. Click + next to Default Web Site. The Web Sites folder expands.

  4. Right click IAdmin. The ICSWebAdmin Properties dialog box appears.

  1. Click the Directory Security tab, then click Edit. The Authentication Methods dialog box appears.

  2. Click to clear the Anonymous access option.

  3. Make sure that the Integrated Windows authentication option is selected.

  4. Click OK to exit the dialog boxes.

  5. Make sure that the IMail administrator has domain administrative privileges for the domain that the remote server is on.  ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:28 PM
Subject: RE: [IMail Forum] 2006 test: importing NT users

This KB article states that IMail must be installed on a DC and I don't know of anything in 2006 that has changed this requirement.

The link on that page for V8.2 User Guide confirms it.

Daniel Donnelly