> The bind 9 windows port is the only one of interest since it's not obsolete.

But if BIND 9 is seriously broken, and ISC says that BIND 4 and BIND 8 are still being supported, you try BIND 4 and BIND 8. Although less feature-rich and more prone to security issues, you would think they would be more likely to be stable. :)

> There were problems with Bind9 under heavy usage until about 2-3 years ago when they rewrote the windows sockets interface.

FWIW, the records I'm looking at were from less than a year ago, and as recent as one version back (9.3.1 versus 9.3.2).

If they have 3 release versions and none work, it's going to take reports of the latest version working well for at least a year until I feel comfortable recommending it to others.

The DNS software I'm using now isn't great (it can only handle a couple hundred packets per second, versus 1,000s), but it works flawlessly. I can't say that for any of the *release* versions of BIND I've used on Windows.
                          -Scott