You'll want to demote it so AD is properly cleaned up.  Just pulling a DC leaves a mess.
Hope this helps.

Mike

At 07:50 AM 6/27/2006, you wrote:

Good morning,

I would like to pick the brains of the Windows AD gurus out there. Pardon me for using this list but everyone here is so knowledgeable!

I am replacing my first DC of my domain with a newer model. (still using win2k server, though)

I have already transferred the FSMO roles to the new DC and configured the DCs in my other sites to use the new one for AD replication.

So, my question is, do I just pull the old one offline or do I need to demote it? If I do need to demote it, what exactly happens when it gets demoted if I've manually transferred everything to the new DC anyway?

Thanks in advance!
Sharyn