I'm managing two sites/domains, both of which were sharing one mail server until recently. One domain was moved from the shared server, which is running IMail v8.22, to a new server running v2006.1. Entourage 2004 (v11.2.5) IMAP users are now experiencing a major problem on the new server.

Let's say the user is currently in the Inbox. If the user composes & sends a message and then moves to the Sent folder, causing the Sent folder to refresh, the Sent folder dissappears from the folder list in the left hand window pane. In fact, if after sending, if the user moves to any folder and causes a refresh, either automatically or manually, that folder dissappers. The folder remains in the list of available IMAP folders and is displayed with an icon indicating that it's still subscribed to however. If at that point the user attempts to update the IMAP folder list using the Update List button in Entourage, an error dialog is displayed. The error is "The IMAP server's response was missing the expected command and was not understandable. Error -17495" Subsequent attempts to update the folder list succeed without any error but the folder still does not appear in the left hand pane. If the user quits/relaunches Entourage the missing folder now appears again in the left pane. If the user goes into that folder, Entourage begins to go through the process of updating the list of messages and then crashes. Upon relaunching, the folder is missing again from the left pane and is also missing from the list of available IMAP folders. If the user now updates the IMAP folder list, it updates with no errors and the missing folder appears again in the left pane. The user can now go into that folder, causing it to refresh, with no errors or crashing. As you can see this is a mojor problem because this happens every time a message is sent.

In addition, this behavior does not happen when the IMAP account resides on a v8.22 IMail server. I've tested both IMail versions using the same copy of Entourage 2004 on my laptop. I've also tested it from 2 additional desktop computers with the same results. This is definitely a reproducible problem.

To test further, I also tried using Entouage X (v10.1.4). As with Entourage 2004, Entourage X has no problems with IMail 8.22. With 2006.1 however, it does display abnormal behavior but not as severe as 2004. After sending a message and then moving to another folder, Entourage X throws up an error dialog that states "Mail could not be received at this time. The server returned the following error: Message 1 is the first unseen message. Error: -17494". At that point simply refreshing the folder (cmd+L in Entourage) causes the folder to update with no more errors and no dissapearing folders.

On the IMail 2006.1 machine I turned on IMAP debugging. Here is the output from the session described above up the point where the error is displayed in Entourage after attempting to refresh the IMAP folder list. The user account I was testing is cmcfarling and the IP address is 71.65.34.7.

http://www.pacificpremedia.com/imail/IMAPlog.txt

Chris McFarling