Then on the IMail box (using 9.1 in this example), you would simply configure port 587 to force AUTH, but leave port 25 functional. The gateway can deliver straight to port 25, and you can redirect port 25 to 587 for things beyond that immediate segment of your network, so IMail port 25 is never available to the outside. This will also prevent all bypassing of one's gateways (some spammers cache indefinitely), and it will not require any changes to the setup on one's clients.

I have already set up some of my IMGate clients just like this.

Len