I have to agree. I was a Mcafee devotee since way back in the early dial-up
BBS days, when we used it to scan our download libraries. This summer, I
got an email from someone saying, "hey, why did you send me this document?"
I hadn't sent him anything. I thought; "uh oh." did a scan of the entire
PC. Nothing. Did a manual check and found a bunch of EXEs that were bigger
than they should be. Uninstalled Mcafee. Installed Norton. It did a scan
and found over 70 instances of four different viruses that Mcafee never
even twinged at. I did the same to my other two PC's and my laptop, and it
found viruses on ALL of them, ALL of them had been running Mcafee, and had
been happily chugging along.

I ditched Mcafee and now run Norton exclusively.