we had that happen once and what it ended up being is a users mailbox was huge and was
taking the time.   For us we use the Imail database, (folders in the users directory)
and I wrote a bat file to pull out the size of the main.mbx and checked it.  I think
when we had the issue it was a 70 or 80 meg main.mbx.  We took care of that and the
system returned to normal...

that was on a 7.? version so it may be a  non issue but it was an issue then and it
may be worthwhile evaluating...

bob