Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 10:48 PM
Subject: [IMail Forum] Server Migration / Version Upgrade

In the next month I am going to be tackling a major upgrade of our existing Imail Server and am looking for any feedback from other users have done similar migrations/upgrades.  (I've done some reading through the KB and mail archives already.)

Current environment:
    Windows NT 4.0 Server
    Imail version 7.0 using the Imail User database
    Hosting email for two domains.
    Physically located in my office building

New Environment:
   Windows 2000 Server
   Imail version 8.05
   Integration with Active Directory (I hope)
   Moved to server co-location facility

I know what I want to do isn't going to be easy but here's the layout.  I'll install the new server into an existing AD environment and configure it to run AD.  I'll install Imail v8.05 on it.

First question, will the existing AD users get email accounts automatically by virtue of doing a clean install or will I have to create them in some fashion?

My active directory is configured with a different domain name (irr.net) then what Imail will host (irr.com).  Can I host mail for irr.com even though the AD domain name is irr.net?

I've read that if you choose AD integration, that you can only host one domain.  Can I host another domain using the Imail user database or that domain? (Pretty sure that answer is yes.)

What are the chances that I can transfer mail from my old 7.0 server to the new 8.0 server?  I've read the KB article about moving servers but it assumes a like-to-like move.

Since my mail servers will be changing IP address' and it will take a couple of days to replicate the DNS changes, is there a good way to leave the old server running in a fashion that would forward mail to the new server if an SMTP connection to it was made?  (I don't see how I could leave POP3 running.)

Any input anyone has is much appreciated.  If there are any online articles I can refer to, please point me in the right direction.

Matthew Brandes, MCSE, CCA
IT Manager
Integra Realty Resources, Inc.
1901 W. 47th Place, #300