On 5/8/2004 9:12 AM, Bud Durland wrote:

Bud Durland wrote:

Nope, IMAP is definitely not faster. I don't think it's slower, but it certainly isn't faster.

I've been working for a week now trying to get IMAP performance back to where it belongs. Moving messages from one IMAP folder to another, which used to be practically instantaneous, now takes 4-7 seconds. This performance problem doesn't seem to be client specific, and doesn't seem to be affected by the size of the mailbox file. WebMail also takes a long time to move files.

I've tried defragging the hard drive, no improvement. Anticipating IPSwitch's canned response, I even changed out the (previously working OK) Intel gigabit card for 3Com unit, also to no avail.

I'm running out of ideas. This is especially troublesome for us, since most of my users are on Mozilla or Thunderbird. By default, these programs move messages to a trash folder. Yes, I can change that behavior, but we're using these programs specifically because they allow us to say "Oops, didn't mean to delete that", even after a couple days. Thankfully, we're using Declude JM so there's not a great deal of spam to get rid of.

My users -- most notably the ones higher up the corporate food chain from me -- have noticed, and made it clear I need to make this better. Short of rolling back to version 8.05, does anyone have any advice?

We have about five users using IMAP. 8.05 IMAP is OK speed-wise. I think we should hold off upgrading from 8.05 to 8.11 if this is such a problem.