Geza,

Boy I know this always causes a problem on this list BUT using DECLUDE anti-virus with F-protect had really saved my butt.  It also lets you block certain (definable) file extensions and pass worded zip files which some virus scanners can't get into.  It also checks inbound and outbound traffic.  I found it was easy to configure and the pro version allows you to hook in multiple scanners for added protection.

Marc
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Geza Levai
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 01:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [IMail Forum] Symantec or SOFTWIN BitDefender Virus shield for Imail?

Hello to All,

I am with an Architect firm with 60 computer/email users.

I have been using Imail v8.12 for SMB with McAfee Webshield 4.51 for a year now and it is time to renew our support contract.

I am well aware of all shortcomings of using McAfee Webshield on the email server, for example several antispam features of Imail is useless (and disabled) because the Imail engine communicates to the McAfee engine on the same server (127.0.0.1), therefore can not use any lookup (black list, reverse, etc), that's DNS related.

This is why I am considering purchasing a Virus shield package for Imail now.

Back then when I discovered the sad truth about how McAfee Webshield has crippled half of the antispam features of Imail, I learned, that the ideal Virus engine for Imail will be embedded in the SMTP mail process so, that Imail in fact will communicate with the outside world in all aspects.

Currently I have McAfee Webshield configured for checking for virus only in the incoming messages (incoming to our firm, sent by folks outside of our firm), because, back then a McAfee support tech told me, that McAfee Webshield is not a full blown SMTP server, at least, not an efficient one with enhanced pooling structure, so it should not be used as an SMTP server.

So, now, that I gave you all a little background info about my current situation, these are my questions:

If you already have used both Symantec and Bitdefender based virus scan solution for Imail server, how do the two compare?

Which one do you use currently?

Do you guys check for virus on both inbound and outbound mail on the Imail server, or you rely on the virus shield that has been installed on the individual workstations when it comes to the outbound mail?

(We do use McAfee Enterprise 7.1 on all of our workstations and servers and I found quite interesting a recent message thread about using McAfee Enterprise for email server. Based, on what I read, that fellow excluded file extensions and folders similarly as I set up McAfee on the workstations to scan messages in Eudora Pro "spool" folder. Anyway, I don't intend to use this method on our Imail server, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this subject.)

Geza
Los Angeles, CA
To Unsubscribe: http://www.ipswitch.com/support/mailing-lists.html List Archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/imail_forum%40list.ipswitch.com/ Knowledge Base/FAQ: http://www.ipswitch.com/support/IMail/ --- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]