The only time that any legitimate traffic should flow through our "secondary
MX" is when the primary is down completely.

"never, ever" ??? not very humble, you "IMHO"

In practice, simply not true, so don't bet any money on it.

I admin several ISPs' MX1/2 where I see legit traffic hitting mx2 when mx1 has been up and handling traffic constantly. If there were a mx3, I would expect it to get traffic, too. yes, MOST of the traffic to backup MXs is crap, but surprisingly large amt is legit.

Another error on your part: the MX preference field is sorted numerically ascending, such that"

"1, 2, 3" is effectively the same as "1, 2, 3000".

Len

_____________________________________________________________________ http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites