On Thursday, February 3, 2005 at 10:55:30 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] confabulated:

> On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, 21:15:22, Marc Funaro wrote:
>> The email looks like it's coming from the server itself, but since 587 is
>> SMTP AUTH only, we have control over who's sending using that port

> On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, 21:52:02, Matt wrote:
>> The RFC is AUTH-only, but not in practice until IMail supports it.  For

> Which RFC are you guys referring to?

> If its RFC 2476 Message Submission it does not *require* authentication.

> Look at section "6. Optional Actions" where it says
>    "The MSA MAY do any of the following:"

> followed by section "6.2. Require Authentication"

>    "The MSA MAY issue an error response to the MAIL FROM command if the
>     session has not been authenticated."

> The key word "MAY" means its optional.

  Or is it stating that it is optional to give an error if the connection is
not authenticated.
  I just turned on port 587 on our backup MX server to test and YES
authentication IS required.
  As soon as I issued the MAIL FROM, the server responded with the
  '530 ... you must authenticate ...' message.

-----

Duane Hill
Sr E-Mail Administrator
http://www.yournetplus.com