On Friday, May 27, 2005, 18:33:38, list wrote:
> I've been running iMail, IIS, & DNS all on the same box for some time now.
> I'd like to move out to task specific servers. I've just started a separate
> webserver for IIS.  Currently iMail & DNS are on the same box but I will be
> separating them next week.  My question is now that our IIS domains are
> hosted on a completely separate server our webmail doesn't work anymore. For
> example http://www.example.com:8383 just gives an error and times out.  What
> is the work around for this issue? What entry can I put in DNS so it knows
> anything requesting port 8383 go to the Imail server.

There's   nothing   you   can  put  into DNS that's going to return port
numbers that would help that issue.

Depending on your network configuration you might be able to play around
with port mapping or re-direction but its not needed.

Create additional host names like webmail.example.com, pop3.example.com,
imap4.example.com and point them to the host that does that function.

Start  off with them all returning the same IP address and send a notice
to all your users to change their configuration to use the new names.

Then,  when  you  move the functionality to a different box, just change
the corresponding DNS record to return the new IP address.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Rod Dorman              late for the pebbles to vote." – Ambassador Kosh