On 8/8/2012 11:30 AM, Dan Wing wrote:
> Today's Internet users, which are not sharing addresses with other users,
> are sending an uniquely-identifyable identifier to every Internet server
> they use:  their unique IP address.

Users don't have IP addresses.  Machines do.  Which are
we trying to identify again?  I think the distinction
is important since the relation between users and devices
can be one-to-many, or many-to-one, and certainly isn't
one-to-one, even if we went back in time when the
relation between end-host machines and addresses might
have been closer to one-to-one.

I also don't think user and subscriber are synonyms for
many purposes, though some of the reveal-analysis seems to
be more oriented towards identifying the access network
subscriber.  That subscriber generally may have quite
a few users and machines behind them.

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems