Sorry, I mixed widows and orphans before. I always do :-/

2008/1/28, Leonard Rosenthol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> But if you are justifying the text, what purpose do character & word
> spacing serve?

The jusitfy alignment distributes only the available space in the row.
But I want more space to get an additional row or two.

I can simply prevent orphans in a column if I check if the available
height is smaller than e.g. 2 rows, then I put the paragraph into the
next column.
To prevent widows I have to adjust the character and word spacing so
that I have an additional row. I know I can increase the c. and w.
spacing only a little, just below the visibility, but sometimes it is
enough to prevent the orphan.

Stephan.