I have a similar segmentation fault problem with an installation of L(inux)
EM(mbedded) + kernel 2.2.14.

 Libc is 2.1.3 I believe.

 When I try to run a Java applet based on AWT I get the following:

current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers
are not supported, using defaultSIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
    si_signo [11]: SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
    si_errno [0]: Success
    si_code [0]: SI_USER [pid: 0, uid: 0]
        stackpointer=0xbffff57c

Full thread dump Classic VM (Linux_JDK_1.2.2_RC4, native threads):
    "AWT-Motif" (TID:0x40e90060, sys_thread_t:0x82604e0, state:R, native
ID:0x1807) prio=5
        at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.run(Native Method)
    "SunToolkit.PostEventQueue-0" (TID:0x40e7bf10, sys_thread_t:0x8241b58,
state:CW, native ID:0x1406) prio=5
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)

  I tried setting LANG but to no avail. Can anyone suggest what I am missing
here ?

  Thanks

        Alex