> ok, the Brian Goetz responded to these concerns:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/lambda-dev/2012-October/006365.html
>
> The JDK perspective makes sense now. These guys are definitely super smart
> guys.

Probably I am missing something, but what I read is just: "the goal is NOT
to create an option monad or solve the problems that the option monad is
intended to solve".
So Goetz stated what the Optional class is NOT and I could be fine with it.
But I don't see any mention about what the Optional class IS or is supposed
to be.

Looking at this example
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/lambda-dev/2012-September/005952.html
it seems that its only purpose is to avoid an additional variable. Does the
Optional scope end here? Please tell me that there is more!

I also disagree about the ADT thing. It is not only a pattern matching
matter: having a None and a Some class extending Optional results in a
better design and a better API.

Mario