I logged in to the Master server and sudo (sudo -su <user>) to the user
running the Jenkins war file.  I ran the ssh command to connect to each of
the Jenkins Agent machines and had no issue connecting.  I did this with
both the machine name and the fully qualified domain name (e.g. machine1,
and machine1.company-name.com). From what I could see the ssh
~/.ssh/known_hosts file contained valid information on the Agent machines
and had correct permissions of 644.

On the Jenkins Master, I went to the Nodes, Agent, Configure page and
switched from the "Known hosts file Verification Strategy" to the "Manually
trusted key Verification Strategy" then brought the Agents online with no
issues.  I then switched the Agent configuration back to the "Known hosts
file Verification Strategy", took the Agents offline and brought them back
online again with no issues.

I looked at the time stamp on the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file and verified its
contents hadn't changed.  Its almost as if the known_hosts file being
checked isn't the file for the user id executing the Jenkins war file.
 Either way, this is an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than
later.