Fellow Jess Users:

Another vote in STRONG favour of Eclipse:

As a long-time emacs user, I made the switch to Eclipse several months
ago.  Eclipse rocks!  After trying IDEA, JBuilder, VS.NET, NetBeans,
etc., I had given up on IDEs in general and resigned myself to being
of the old school (CVS commands, emacs, shell, make/ant, junit
cycling).  My criteria for an IDE: intuitiveness.  If I couldn't grok
the framework concept in 1-3 hours, then forget it.

Eclipse is very intuitive if you have used CVS, Ant, Java, JUnit in
the past.  It has three basic concepts: perspectives, views, and
editors.  Taking the guided tours found in the included Help
documentation was a big help!  They are excellently written for
novices and experts.  It has step-by-step exercises with screenshots
for both levels of users.  I breezed through it in about 1.5 hours
(both the framework and PDT guides).  Within 1-3 hours, I was even
writing a simple new plugin (see the CLIPS/Jess editor at

        http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/plugin_details.jsp?id=322

which is Open Source and we hope to make it a SourceForge project
soon).  Many of our developers quickly converted from other IDEs to
Eclipse in less than a week NOT because I told them to, but because
they wanted to switch!

Bottom line: Eclipse is the Emacs of tomorrow (you can quote me on
this and hold my feet to the fire in 5-10 years).

Just waiting for my Jess In Action book....

-- jack

John R. Callahan, Ph.D.
CTO
Sphere Software Corporation - Accelerating Business Automation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]