Dear all,
This is the comments and directions of one my friends on my view of church .
It will be good if some can say something on it
love
viji

BAPTIST. A name for various groups of Christians who profess that the Bible
is the only standard of faith and practice, who hold to Baptist
distinctives, and who trace their heritage, not to the Protestant
Reformation, but to Jesus Christ and the apostolic churches.
A Baptist Church has been defined as follows:
"A Baptist Church is an organization composed of baptized believers. That
organization is complete in itself. It recognizes Christ as its head. `He is
the head of the body, the church.' He only has legislative authority over
it. The laws of Christ, as recorded in the New Testament and administered by
a majority of its members, constitute the only ecclesiastic authority known
to the church. In the administration of those, the weakest, poorest member
has a right to be heard, and the richest member has no right to ask for
more. Hence the church in its relation to Christ is a perfect monarchy. His
will is law. In the relation of the members to each other, it is a perfect
democracy--`One is your master, even Christ, and all ye are brethren.' It
is, then, an organization, and separate, distinct from all others. Its right
to be in the world and prosecute its mission is original and divine. It asks
no aid of the civil arm or purse. All it asks of the State and all other
organizations, as such, is to be let alone, and let it live, if it can, and
die if it must.
"BUT ITS MISSION. This, in common with all other evangelical Christians, is
to evangelize the world. [See Missions.] We also believe the Baptist church
has a special mission, which is to preserve the purity of the church, which
task involves:
"A REGENERATE MEMBERSHIP. Would our limits permit, it might be interesting
to take a voyage up the stream of ecclesiastical history, to its source, and
see of what the primitive church was composed, and examine the simplicity of
its organization, and then trace the gradual departure from that simplicity,
to mark the process which brought unregenerate members into the church, and
then trace the consequences. But we hardly have time to say that as it has
been in the past, so it must be in the future, part of the mission of the
Baptist Church is to keep her doors closed against all such as do not give
evidence of piety. ... while we are to receive those of weakest faith, if it
be genuine, yet we are to stand by the old doctrines, that no hereditary
religion, no amount of wealth, no social position, no standard of morality
can form a passport into the Baptist church without evidence that the
applicant knows something practically of what repentance towards God and
faith in our Lord Jesus Christ means.
"But we think it is a part of our mission to preserve A PURE MINISTRY, as
well. In a Baptist church the pastor holds the highest office in the church.
And he must be called of God. But when unregenerate men had found their way
into the church they sought to enter the ministry as men enter other
professions, supposing that they could learn to preach as men learn to
practice law or medicine. And when in the ministry, they began to claim for
themselves authority. The best positions were sought, and a minister was to
have authority according to the size and wealth of the church he served, and
thus gradually there grew up grades in the ministry; then the pastor became
the priest, and a hierarchy was fostered. Then legislative authority was
claimed. Christ was legislated out and the civil power in; the Church and
State were joined in unholy wedlock; and we have all the corruptions of the
middle ages.
"While sanctified intellect and learning are commodities of which we shall
never have too much, still we think it is a part of our mission to teach
that the Baptist Church has no use for men for her ministry, however massive
their brain, however sparkling their genius, however profound their
learning, however burning their eloquence, whose wills have not bowed to the
will of Christ, whose spiritual gravitation is not towards His cross; who
have not felt in their heart of hearts, `Woe is me if I preach not the
gospel;' and who, rather than be denied the privilege, would be willing to
fare as their Master did when on earth.
"Another part of the mission of the Baptist church is to preserve the
ORDINANCES IN THEIR ORIGINAL PURITY. Not that we have confidence in water or
bread or wine, whether much or little, only as they are divinely chosen and
God-appointed symbols for the proclamation of gospel truth. But believing
that they are thus appointed and are a part of God's plan for perpetuating
and proclaiming the essential facts of the gospel, to withhold them would be
to give up one of God's methods of preaching the gospel. To change them
would be so far to preach another gospel. To do either would be false to our
mission. [See Baptism, Lord's Supper.]
"We have only time to speak of one point more: LIBERTY OF CONSCIENCE IN
MATTERS OF RELIGION. Baptists have always been champions of religious
liberty. No page of their history has been stained by the blood of an
opponent. With them, Church and State are forever divorced. The Bible is to
be put into the hands of every individual, and he is responsible to God
only, how he interprets it. And no man or body of men has a right to
interfere by any coercive measure. It is the privilege of every man to come
to Christ for himself, without priest or candles, and be God's free man. And
although the Baptist church never came out of the Roman Catholic church
because she was never in it, yet she is to be catholic in spirit and
treatment towards all where mere matters of opinion are involved; but
Protestant, forever Protestant, in religion to all invasions upon the New
Testament as the only standard of faith and practice" (Pastor Isaac
Butterfield, "The Baptist Church and Its Mission," preached in the late
1860s, Fountain Street Baptist Church, Grand Rapids, Michigan).
Baptist distinctives include the following: (1) believer's baptism (that
baptism is for believers only by immersion only); (2) salvation by grace
alone through faith alone; (3) the eternal security of the believer; (4) the
autonomy of the local church (Baptists reject all hierarchical structures of
church polity); (5) the priesthood of the believer (Baptists reject any
separate priesthood in the church); (6) a regenerate church membership (only
those who profess Christ and give evidence of salvation can join the
church); (7) the Bible is the sole authority for the church; (8) separation
of church and state (the churches should not be united with or supported by
the secular government). While there are a great many different groups of
Baptists with widely differing doctrines and practices, most hold to these
distinctives.
The history of the Baptists is given in the following survey by Curtis
Whaley:
"Though many Baptist groups sprang up during the Protestant Reformation,
according to Collier's Encyclopedia, the Baptists have `descended from some
of the evangelical `sects' of the preceding age during which the Roman and
Orthodox Churches dominated all of Europe and suppressed all dissent.' A
Catholic, Cardinal Hosius, President of the Council of Trent (1545-1563),
wrote during the early years of the Reformation period, `Were it not that
the Baptists have been grievously tormented and cut off with the knife
during the past twelve hundred years, they would swarm in greater numbers
than all the reformers.' This should convince anyone that the Baptists are
not a by-product of the Reformation, and are not even Protestants in the
popular sense of the term.
"If the Baptists did not begin with the Reformation, when did they begin? We
will let a great American and world historian answer. John Clark Ridpath
(1840-1900), a Methodist by denominational    conviction, wrote, `I should
not readily admit that there was a Baptist church as far back as 100 A.D.,
although without doubt there were Baptist churches then, as all Christians
were then Baptists.' Yes, all Christians were then Baptists, because the
doctrines that Baptists believe and teach today are the same as those taught
by the Lord Jesus Himself, by Peter, John, Paul, and all the Apostles.
"We have not always been called `Baptists.' The name is not a self-chosen
one. Following what we believe to be apostolic precept and example, the
Baptists rejected infant baptism, insisted on a `regenerate membership,' and
baptism sought intelligently by the candidate as a condition for church
membership. For these reasons they were stigmatized as `Anabaptists,'
`Cata-baptists,' and sometimes as simply `Baptists.' This was to say they
were [called by their enemies] `rebaptizers, perverts of baptism,' or, as
unduly emphasizing baptism and making it a reason for schism, simply
`baptizers.' We are proud of the name, because it distinguishes our
doctrinal position which is set forth in the N.T. and identifies us with a
host of saints who have believed the same precious truths and were
identified with the same denominator.
"The premise that first century Christians were Baptists runs counter to the
Roman Catholic claim that the first church was Roman Catholic. To this we
need only point out that the first church was organized by Christ and His
Apostles, and those Apostles became the nucleus of the church at Jerusalem,
not Rome, and James was its leader, not Peter. We also contend that the
bishop of Rome did not win primacy over other bishops until the fourth
century, and that it wasn't until Gregory ascended the episcopal throne in
590 A.D. that the Roman bishop began to claim his supremacy over other
bishops.
"Thus we see that Roman Catholicism dates back to the fourth century at the
earliest. [See Church, Roman Catholic Church.]
"While we do not contend that only Baptists are going to Heaven, we do
contend that the first church was organized according to principles
historically maintained by Baptists, and that Baptists have existed since
that day. First called Christians, then by other names down through the
centuries until they received the name that has distinguished them from
Protestant and Catholic groups alike" (Curtis Whaley, Who Are the
Baptists?). [See Anglican, Baptism - Immersion, Baptism - Infant, Church,
Church Discipline, Lord's Supper, Pastor, Prophecy, Roman Catholic Church.]