That example is dynamic in the sense that you can populate that Javascript
array in many different ways. For example, you could take in user input and
create an array, or you can let your PHP echo out a Javascript array.

For dynamic in the sense that we use AJAX to pull data and then create the
carousel, a simple example would be
http://sorgalla.com/projects/jcarousel/examples/dynamic_javascript.html

Notice in each of the examples you still need to write your own function to
parse whatever data/string you return from the server. The example in the
link I gave you used jQuery.get() to pull a simple page
http://sorgalla.com/projects/jcarousel/examples/dynamic_ajax.txt which just
has some image URLs separated by a | character. The functions in the page
then separate the individual URLs and add them into the carousel.

You only need something like this on your server side after you get your
item array $photos from the database (in fact, you could do this in your
while loop if you are using one to pull data):

$photo_src = array();
for ($i = 0, $l = count($photos); $i < $l; $i++) {
    $photo_src[] = $photos['photo_id'] . '.jpg';
}
$photo_string = implode('|', $photo_src);
echo $photo_string;

Then, just replace dynamic_ajax.txt in the sample code with
your_php_page.php

--
Ted