Hello Everyone,

I just hopped on the jQuery bandwagon and I'm working on the following
functionality so if there are any examples or tutorials that do
anything like this I'd love to hear about them. I realize I will
eventually figure all this out but if anyone knows of any working
models, examples that are close to what I want or a list of what
methods to study would be greatly appreciated because it would speed
things up. (And that's what we're all here for right? �� )

Type 'n List:
I would like to type into a box. A list of links would appear just
below the box that will have been retrieved from the database using
AJAX. Ideally there would be a timer. The user starts typing and as
soon as they stop typing for say 900ms, then the links would be
retrieved from the database. If the user starts typing again, then
again the box isn't refreshed till they stop typing for 900ms. I have
done this often with Visual Basic or FoxPro and the trick there was to
have a timer that you reset whenever the user types. The logic for the
database refresh is in the timer event so it doesn't fire unless the
timer fires. I did this once in plain JavaScript and I used the
clearTimeout and setTimeout functions.

Dynamo-List:
A list of links is inserted in a DIV. The list is refreshed by the
server every few seconds. When new items appear, they are inserted
rather than having the whole list refresh. I have seen the hide(500)
method and it would be nice is items appeared and disappeared in the
list using a similar effect.

Dynamo-Check'em:
I have a list of a lot of check boxes so what I'd like to do is have a
text box at the top of the list. When the user types in the text box,
then the list of check boxes is refined by what the user types (based
on the name of the check boxes stored in a database). The user can
check the boxes. Once checked they always remain in the list
regardless of whether or not they meet the criteria. To make them
disappear, the user has to uncheck them. The reason they stay visible
once checked is so that the user can see which ones are checked
regardless of what's in the text box. For this control, the timer
pattern in the Dynamo-List above isn't as important because the number
of check boxes will not be very large. Perhaps a thousand at the outer
limit. The boxes the user has checked off should always be reflected
in the database.

Expando-Show:
In a given list of items (anchor tags), I'd like to be able to hide
and show the description and other fields that go with each item. This
needs to be done two ways. One where the data is just hidden and shown
and the other where it is disposed of and loaded from the database as
required in real time.

Scroll'm-Rollem:
Given say 100 items in a database, I'd like to show about 5 of them.
Every few seconds, I'd like to hide the bottom one and thin insert a
new one at the top. So it's like a scrolling list that runs on a
timer. When a user is hovering an item, we don't want to make it
disappear. I would like scroll-up and scroll-down links as well so
that the user can manually scroll the list.

I'm using PHP and MySQL (I realize it doesn't matter what's at the
back end as long as the back end returns the same results). Obviously
I can learn faster from any examples that use PHP but I'll take
anything. ��

Thanks again! Also, if there's anyone here floating around Ottawa that
would like to join my support groups for programmers and business
people, don't hesitate to contact me!

I look forward to hearing from anybody!

Darcy Whyte
Social Software, Analyst, Database

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 613-563-3634
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | N 45° 25'03.1" W 75° 42'21.4"
www.Siteware.com | www.siteware.com/pictures
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Think Tank: Share ideas about face to face and online social networks.
Explore and
analyze existing systems. Look for answers on how systems can
facilitate constructive social networks. Be in the know about what's
transforming your world. www.JumpSocial.com/blog

2.0 Lab: Share Web 2.0 development techniques. AJAX, Network Metrics,
Rich Interfaces, Frameworks, Yahoo UI etc. www.JumpSocial.com/blog

Ottawa Facebook Developer Garage: Learn about Facebook development and
meet others who are doing it. www.JumpSocial.com/blog

Social and Dance Calendar: www.JumpSocial.com

Model Aviation: www.Rubber-Power.com